WHO ARE WE?
The Church of the Good Shepherd started with Sunday School in a house in Hamburg in 1868 led by the Rector of Christ Church, Newton. It was at this time that they took the name Good Shepherd. The first worship service was held on February 14, 1869. In 1871 what is now the Diocese of Newark took charge and made Good Shepherd an organized Mission of the Diocese. They sent the Rev. Stuart Martin who held his first service on July 2.
The Cornerstone was laid on June 24, 1872 for the stone church in Hamburg. Work on the church was completed in 1874 and the first service in the new church was held on June 3 with the Rev. Stuart Martin officiating. Fast forward 113 wonderful years to December 19, 1985 when the Township Engineer advised that services could no longer be held in the main church due to dry rot of the floorboards.
Worship continued at the Parish House and then the Hamburg School until the "new" church was ready in Wantage. The first service was held on July 16, 1989 and the building was dedicated on September 10, 1989 by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Spong.
While the present building is new, many items from the Hamburg church were brought here. The stained glass, baptismal font, pews and other items were incorporated into the architect's design. The old bell was re-hung in 1991 and the Memorial Garden was completed in 1992 for the interment of the cremains of loved ones.